Friday, June 9, 2017

30 Days of Pride: Day 9

Day 9 - What do you think about LGBT Pride? Is it helpful or hurtful? Encouraged or unnecessary? 

I think Pride can be vital to a queer community. It provides a chance to come together, to be yourself, to meet others, to enjoy being with people who are like you.

I think Pride can be a valuable resource to learn about community services, to find out which religious groups are with you (now if they'd just stop having it on top of Litha! Our local pagans had to move Litha celebrations because everyone was at Pride.), what organizations exist for you, from health clinics and libraries to Blue Suede Bears and Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.

I think Pride can be a public relations nightmare, of underdressed people, of those who are visually out of step with the rest of the city. It goes with that safety to be yourself from point one.

We've been going to Pride since Bun, my oldest, came out in 2006. She marched with the gay youth group until she left home. By which time her little sister was out and marching in her place. My husband is president of PFLAG. He has marched with a broken back. 

In 07, I made the kids t-shirts that said "I [rainbow heart] my family"  All four of them, Bun, (age 15) Obi (age 12), Jonner (age 9) and Oli (6) wore these. Bun marched and the other three watched the parade with me. Drag queens were stopping in mid march to get pics of the kids.

We enjoy Pride and want to see it stay local. No corporate take-overs, as in the bigger cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment