Saturday, June 17, 2017

30 Days of Pride: Day 17

Your first experience with an LGBT organization or event (Day of Silence, Pride, etc)

We became involved when my oldest daughter came out in 2005. Bun came out during the Summer of Zach. Zach Stark was 16 and his parents sent him to a reparative therapy program called Love in Action. We became part of the group that stood out front every day with protest signs, letting Zach know there was another way.

Bun is the blonde girl 3 over from the orange sign and 5 from the right.


She's holding the brown sign. The bearded man in white is her dad.

Memphis Area Gay Youth, Pride Parade 2005


We went to Pride that year as well, and I made the kids t-shirts that read "I [rainbow heart] my family." I volunteered at the Gay and Lesbian Community Center and Mudd joined PFLAG.

Bun may have caught grief from friends, teachers, school administrators, and shrinks. But she never took grief at home. She had been so afraid to tell us, but I told her I was bisexual too. The kids (13, 11, 9 and 6) didn't know.



No comments:

Post a Comment