Sunday, June 25, 2017

30 Days of Pride, Day 25. Talking about queer

The LGBT slur you hate most or if you’ve taken back a slur and used it as a definition, ie queer or fag. 

I use "queer" as an umbrella term. It covers everyone from my asexual writing partner, to my sapiosexual trans junior husband. It means my pansexual daughter and cross-dressing son as well as my own confused self.  It's shorter and better understood than QUILTBAG, and we are mostly odd as well as non-heterosexual.

I had an editor make me change it to "gay" because the house didn't allow the use of it.

One of my characters is truck driver in a Disunited States and expresses the wish that he could drive through the more repressive countries and bring back "a whole semi load of scared queer kids" to the safety of his more progressive country. I meant it to include lesbians and trans kids as well as the gay ones. But I had to change it.

I'm here.
I'm queer.
And we're going to have a LOT of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment