Tuesday, June 13, 2017

30 Days of Pride: Day 13

Your favorite LGBT role model/celebrity.

There are a lot of these. When my oldest came out, we made a study of gay celebrities, especially older ones, mainly to prove she didn't have to die young.

George Takei. I had the great privilege to meet him in about 1982. I was very nervous about meeting someone I'd only seen on TV. He spoke kindly to me and let me have a couple photos. In the years since, his unflagging courage and activism have inspired all my kids.

Ian McKellan. Another older actor who is out and proud, and very active. His work on the X-Men and LotR movies was formative for the kids.

Lily Tomlin. One of my all time favorite comedians. Her "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life In the Universe", written by her wife, is still brilliantly funny. And a thirty+ year relationship is nothing to scoff at.

John Glover is one of my favorite actors. I've seen almost everything he's done. And after most things from the 80s and 90s, I ask "How did we ever think this man was straight?" He can pull off a convincing heterosexual romance, or flame like a phoenix's plumage, as the role calls for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment