Wednesday, May 6, 2020

30 Day of Witchcraft: Herbal remedies

When I started in the SCA, my idea was to be an herbalist.
As I read more, I realized this was not a terribly safe or easy path. There was the ever-popular problem of "Half their remedies cured you quite dead" to contend with. So I sat back and let modern medicine handle most things.

But there are some herbs I use:

Peppermint is a known carminative. That means it helps you pass gas on through. When my stomach is upset, I reach for a peppermint humbug, the kind made with real peppermint oil.

Chamomile. Also a carminative. That's why you feed chamomile tea to colicky babies. It soothes them and gets the gas out. It can interact with blood thinners

Lavender is a soothing agent. Mixed with chamomile, it is a very effective bedtime relaxer for anyone. That's why some night time baby lotions have it. It can irritate skin, and my daughter is allergic to it.

Ginger works to calm the stomach as well. Candied ginger is a must on long car rides for us. And when we are near Birmingham we buy Buffalo Rock ginger ale, which makes Vernors taste like tap water for ginger content

Vinegar is a demulcent. It strips mucus. The best thing for a sore throat is to gargle 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water. Gargle as long as you can for 3 times and swallow the third. Yes, it tastes terrible.

And of course, if you have cats, growing catnip is a must for any witch.

Cough Tea is also a favorite:
1/4 ounce dried lemon peel
1/2 ounce mullein
1/2 ounce angelica
1/4 ounce dried orange peel
1/2 ounce burdock
1/2 ounce coltsfoot

Directions
Mix all in a jar… sometimes you can mix with a tea bag … let one tablespoon steep for 10 minutes in boiling water.
It tastes better with honey


No comments:

Post a Comment