Tuesday, November 28, 2017

On being a guy who knits

While making the change to manhood is requiring me to give up a few fripperies I love (lily scented perfume, purple and pink argyle socks, bright colors [until I present more manly]), I adamantly refuse to give up my knitting needles and crochet hooks.

Although knitting is associated with gray haired old grandmas making hideous sweaters, it has been around for nearly a thousand years. The earliest fragments, of socks, are from the 11th century (about the time of the Norman Invasion) and Egypt.

And it has never been just women who knitted. Although in the 1950s and 60s, only girls were taught this in school, men knitted throughout both world wars and into today. Knitting was seen as something those on the homefront could do to support the troops.

There were even popular songs about it



And some celebrities took it up. Women of course, but even some men.

 
Cary Grant used to knit on set. Christopher Walken still does. They find it soothing between takes.

 
David Arquette and Ewan MacGregor are two prominent current celebrity knitters.

 

FDR and Fred McMurray

 



George Lucas and John Glover knitting during down time. (the latter makes only scarves)

 
Misha Collins (working in the round) and Russell Crowe both knit for stress relief.

And this man? I have no idea who he is, but I kind of want to grow up and be him.


So I will keep knitting, secure in the knowledge it's a manly pastime as well as good for my arthritis.. But I would anyway, because I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment