Sunday, August 26, 2018

Vacation Planning: Washington DC

It's silly to do this when we are incredibly broke, and I have a dozen other things on my mind.
That's exactly why I need to do it.

Driving time is about 14 hours, for the 850 miles, with the time change and without breaks. It may be a 2 day trip.

Hotel costs. The Comfort Inn in Springfield offers a breakfast buffet and a shuttle to the Metro at about $85/night. Not terrible.

The Must-Dos

The Metro into town takes about half an hour. We may need to look into passes for the system, since it's about $5 each way. Parking is very limited in the city.

Smithsonian: Free. Allow a day for each
Air and Space Museum because we are huge science and space nuts.

The Natural History Museum.

The National Zoo

The Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument and Mall.
The Library of Congress tour

Monuments by Moonlight is the one tour I've wanted to take for years, ever since I found out about it while researching a book that never got written. It's $43, but sounds ridiculously romantic.It's 2 1/2 hours long.


An Anniversary dinner. I kind of favor Zaytinya, (one of DC's 10 best romantic restaurants) The lamb bahar looks good, so do the sea scallops.

Side trips, pending interest:

The National Gallery of Art. Not Mudd's thing but I like a good art gallery

Mount Vernon: $20/person, at least 3 hours.

Monticello: $30/person

I've wanted to go to Colonial Williamsburg since I was a kid. It's about $41/person. And I still want to visit.

So I'm thinking about a week.
Leave on Saturday, stay the night around Knoxville, arrive Sunday.
Monday: the landmarks and tours. the big dinner
Tuesday-Thursday: Smithsonian, combine art gallery and zoo day
Friday we take one of the side trips (I'm bucking for Williamsburg, more expensive but an all day thing)
Saturday head home
Sunday arrive home.

It sounds like fun. Now to arrange the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment