Monday, January 14, 2019

Cooking thoughts from Sunday Night

I'm trying the Stew in a Freezer Bag thing, in hopes of reducing our frozen pizza consumption and increasing our vegetable intake. Also not having to outwit my menfolk to get fed. If it can be thawed overnight, thrown in the crock-pot and cooked all day, it is more likely to be made than anything complicated.

And as always when I hit the onion, (which is now, my poor keyboard will smell of onions for a while) I quoted Steven Brust: "I'm a Jhereg. We sell onions."

I went and looked it up. It's from Yendi and is kind of the capper to an extended metaphor about life being like an onion, and how some of the different castes react to finding a bad spot in an onion (or their life)

All I can find online is this:
“When I say that life is like an onion, I mean this: if you don't do anything with it, it goes rotten. So far, that's no different from other vegetables. But when an onion goes bad, it can either do it from the inside, or the outside. So sometimes you see one that looks good, but the core is rotten. Other times, you can see a bad spot on it, but if you cut that out, the rest is fine. Tastes sharp, but that's what you paid for, isn't it?” --Yendi

There's more about how one group will never notice it going bad and another will throw out the whole barrel over a single spot. The final bit is "I'm a Jhereg. We sell onions." Which is true and funny, both because they are merchants, but also thieves and assassins. (the book circles back to the metaphor for the end scene as I recall)

And now I know what I'm reading after Sara M. Harvey's Music City and Diane Duane's Young Wizards. Because as much as I quote Vlad, it's been a couple decades since I visited with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment